To succeed, a company must get the most out of their employees on a daily basis. A huge obstacle facing employee productivity is drug and alcohol abuse both within and outside the company. A Drug-Free workplace is important because it increases productivity, efficiency and bottom line profitability.
A comprehensive Drug-Free Workplace approach includes five key components.
The following are the 5 steps we recommend:
- DRUG AND ALCOHOL COMPANY POLICY
- SUPERVISOR TRAINING
- EMPLOYEE TRAINING
- DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM/SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROFESSIONAL REFERRALS
Beneficial outcomes of a Drug Free Workplace include:
• Reduce medical insurance costs over time due to lower actual claims
• Reduce Workers’ Compensation insurance costs
• Minimize theft, damage to equipment, sick days, absenteeism, and low productivity
• Increase trust and confidence among co-workers
A written Drug-Free Workplace policy is the foundation of a Drug-Free Workplace program. Each company’s written policy should be unique and tailored to meet its specific industry needs and protect safety sensitive positions.
Training supervisors and management is essential to equip them with tools and awareness of how to manage to the policy. Material includes reasonable suspicion, signs and symptoms, stereotypes, intervention, enabling and documentation.
Drug and alcohol testing is by far the number one deterrent to drug and alcohol abuse in the workplace. Drug testing is considered part of a company’s social responsibility and ties directly to how it’s branded in the marketplace.
For more information on how to effectively build your company Drug Free Workplace Program, call: 1-866-896-0603